Monday, November 7, 2011

Darling Little Diapers

 I had several sets of the absolutely darling little diapers donated a couple of weeks ago.  I have already used them at two photosessions.  These fill a very important gap in bereavement supplies.  Our Elizabeth was just under 3 pounds, and the smallest preemie diaper the hospital had fit her perfectly.  It's about the size of a maxi pad (sorry - best visual I could come up with :)!)  But what about all these teeny little peanuts that are born between 18-28 weeks that are anywhere from half a pound up to 1 1/2 pounds?  Most of the time, there simply isn't anything to cover their bums.  I have seen nurses fashion a "diaper" out of a piece of gauze, or even cutting up a regular diaper into a small one and trimming down the tabs.  None of those options are ideal.  That's why I got super excited when I first laid eyes on these.
Here they are on a cutting mat so that you can see the sizes.  Each square is one inch.  These were made by a woman near me as part of a service project to honor her own angel.  She made sets of two of each pattern so that the family will have one as a keepsake if they wish to bury their baby with the other one.  It's a very thoughtful gift.  I love these colorful patterned ones, but could also use lots of plain white ones.  Most of the clothing I have is white, and wild patterns show through.

You can click here to download the pattern.

2 comments:

  1. Here here to the sets of two. I was given a single set of gowns for my boys which I kept of course, but I had nothing to bury them in. I should have contacted Share to see if they had anything, but in those days between holding your angel, a hospital stay, burying them and all of the tasks in between it's just not something I knew where to go or something I thought of to find something for them.
    A set of two would have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this!! Utah Share picked it up and made tutorials for them! Nice to know about the white diapers; I'll be making some of those! Your gowns are gorgeous and I just LOVE your sewing day idea! LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete